It seems that a lot of people have had a very shit 2019 …. I’ve had people say it to me in passing, I’ve read it on social media and just because I’ve been a bit quiet on there, it doesn’t mean that I haven’t seen the “🖕 to 2019” statuses on the Book of Face …. Trust me!! I know!! I’ve had a shit year too! But consider this …… has it REALLY been a shit year, or have you, like me, taken a shit couple of days, weeks or months and turned it into a shit year? It’s easy for us to say the year has been shit. When something bad happens we spend weeks crying over it but we only spend one day celebrating our achievements.
So now that we’ve made it to the end of the year …. where all we’re going to see on social media are the annual recaps announcing how amazing our social media friends lives have been…… please, I implore you not to compare yourself to others. You are not them. They are not you. If you made it through the year alive and in one piece then I’m proud of you. If you’ve not killed or maimed anyone in the process then I think we should all give ourselves a slap on the back….. and try harder next year 🤔😂
For me, its taken a bit longer to put this blog together, wading through the alleged crap I’ve been through in my head. It’s taken The Book of Face to remind me of my achievements – the ones I didn’t celebrate as much as I should have at the time and the people who came on this journey with me and put up with so much. Looking back on what my chief cheerleader / pit stop director / fellow hero / newly promoted running partner and I have achieved this year, I can’t help but think we should’ve high fived the crap out of each other or, at the very least, slapped each other round the face with a rotten piece of fish at the stupidity of paying for, not training for and then “running” a whole heap of marathons… I mean, who DOES that!! …. well …. us apparently 🤔😂
So this year saw the start of our Grand Slam challenge of running a marathon in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, it’s fair to say I didn’t quite make it …. I ran 3 3/4 marathons with the 3/4’s being our first one in Wales Lovely people, lovely scenery, lovely new union jack running tops but alas, no lovely bit of bling for me. My chief cheerleader / pit stop director / fellow hero / newly promoted running partner, did however, score himself that well deserved bit of bling and, for a man of so few words, he stepped out of his comfort zone to write about it.
From Wales, we then came back to our home town for that much needed “home turf”
marathon, the award winning MK Marathon …. which is where this entire running saga began back in 2017 / 18. The course has bits which are crap (don’t all marathons) but instead of hitting that wall at mile 20, we knew the stadium finish and the amazingly supportive family, friends and club members would pull us through to the end….. they didn’t disappoint and helped me to another Marathon PB in the process! Thank you to each and every one of you especially those hero’s in Hi-Viz who supported the event – without you guys there is no event ! ❤💚❤
After a 3 week gap we hopped on a speedy train to Edinburgh and wow!! What a marathon adventure that was. Fuelled by a certain amount of confidence gained from the MK Marathon, we whinged and moaned our way through rain, sunshine and 40mph winds to make it to the end with a smile on our faces. Its a course that has the potential to get you a PB and one of the first ones we’re revisiting again next year….. and I cannot wait!! 😍
There was then almost a 5 month gap between marathons, where we pledged to train
like billy-o and make Dublin our best Marathon yet .. life, kids and wine got in the way and the training never really materialised… we were just grateful to finish still alive, still upright and scrape in under the 6 hour mark…. but hey Dublin! Guess what? …. we’re coming back for you again next year. 😊
Last year, I learned a lot of lessons …. lycra only stretches so far, for example, but this year I learned a whole heap more.
1. Marathons can be completed with a bit of faith, hope and pixie dust …. but its probably safer and more comfortable to actually train for one.
2. Answers cannot be found at the bottom of a wine bottle ….. I’ve tried it a few hundred times this year and now I’m too skint to buy new trainers, have gained 30lbs and appear to be running a trail marathon up Snowdon. FML 🤔😱
3. There’s always something to be grateful for….. it takes you an hour to clean your house? Be grateful you’ve got a roof over your head. You hate your job? be grateful you have one to pay for all of those races you drunkenly applied for. You’ve put on 30lbs over christmas? be grateful you have the means to buy that much bloody food ….. and don’t be so greedy next time 😂😂
4. Have a little confidence in your abilities ….. what you THINK you are and what other people see, are 2 toooooootally different things. Other people see the potential in you … so why can’t you?
5. Treat yourself like you’d treat your best friend #BeKindToYou
6. Stop trying to figure out if you’re right for other people ….. instead ask yourself if they’re right for you.
7. If you’ve noticed your “friends” binning you off on The Book of Face throughout the year, don’t take it personally. If they think you’re not good enough for them on social media, they’re sure as hell not good enough for you in person …so now repeat after me …. “By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you blocked and deleted. You may now kiss my ass”. …. aaaaand ….. move on. 😃
8. A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a simple step ….. ok, so i nicked this one off of Pinterest but I kinda like it and I think its very true. You can’t get to where you’re going if you don’t shake your booty and move. Stop thinking and start doing.
9. You’re stronger than you think you are. No one is coming to save you. This life is 100% your responsibility …. so get up and OWN this next decade!
10. You have to fight through some bad days to get to the best days of your life ….. keep pushing. 2020 is waiting for you.
Goodbye 2019, helloooooo 2020!
So as we head into this next decade I’ve no doubt, we’ll be starting to witness copious amounts of New year’s resolutions being made … remember though, that a New year’s resolution is just a to do list for the 1st week of January …. for the rest of the year … even if you do nothing else … try and make yourself soooooo damn happy that other people become happy too.
As for me? …. no resolutions are being made. I’m going to remain the same, amazingly awesome SavageMum I’ve always been ….. there’s absolutely no point in fixing something that ain’t broken 🤗 ….. but I am going to run more this year … oh! And make an attempt to stop my kids being arseholes ….. I think I can guess which one of those is going to be achievable 🤔😂😂
Finally! Thank you! Thank you to all of my wonderfully amazing followers – the old, who have been patiently waiting for me to actually write something this year! and the new! Hang on tight, it’s going to be a bumpy but hopefully humorous ride!.
Happy New Year to you all …. chapter 1, page 1 ….. now lets begin……
Until next time